Happy Friday people. Today we are going to talk about Kombucha because I received a lot of queries after posting a story on drinking Kombucha before a meal a few days back and also because Kombucha is slowly becoming a buzzword in health world in India but most people don’t actually know what it is.
I first tried Kombucha in Bali and since then I have become addicted to Kombucha (in a healthy way) because my obsession with fizzy drinks is REAL. I love sipping on it while working or reading. I somehow feel that it helps curb my craving for soda and coke.
Kombucha is actually a little difficult to crack. You might not like its taste in the first sip or maybe sips but with time you develop a taste for this sparkling fermented tea. Start with real fruit based kombucha before trying the strong flavors like cinnamon or the simple plain kombucha.
WHAT IS KOMBUCHA?
Kombucha is a sparkling drink made by fermenting black/green tea with raw sugar, bacteria, and yeast for 2-3 weeks. After fermentation, kombucha becomes carbonated and contains vinegar, B vitamins, enzymes, probiotics and a high concentration of acid (acetic, gluconic and lactic). Many fruits and vegetables are also added to make flavored Kombucha which makes it taste better. Kombucha has been called the “Immortal Health Elixir” in Chinese culture for over 2,000 years.
WHY SHOULD YOU DRINK THIS FERMENTED TEA?
Like other fermented foods, Kombucha is full of probiotics. This type of beneficial bacteria lives in your gut and keeps your system in fighting form. Probiotics improve the digestion of tummy hence making it absorb more nutrients and vitamins from food. In fact, it improves the gut health. When I was on heavy antibiotics last week due to my toenail, I took Kombucha every single day to heal my gut and offset the effects of those heavy tablets. For a person like me who faces constipation way too often, this stuff helps. I have noticed a huge difference in my digestion once I started drinking Kombucha.
see Benefits of this tea:-
- it calms down inflammation of the stomach which is the root cause of most of the diseases.
- healthy gut
- regulates cholesterol naturally
- helps maintain a healthy liver
- powerful antibacterial agent
WHEN SHOULD YOU DRINK KOMBUCHA IDEALLY?
Drinking kombucha before a meal helps with digestion. Therefore, I prefer sipping on Kombucha in between my meals. Never drink Kombucha at night because of its caffeine content.
POINTS TO REMEMBER BEFORE TAKING KOMBUCHA
- It is difficult to store home brewed Kombucha so I would always recommend sticking to trusted brands making and selling kombucha.
- Everyone reacts differently to Kombucha, so try it out yourself before making any conclusion.
- Start drinking it in a small amount and gradually work your way up.
- Kombucha contains small amounts of caffeine and alcohol.
- If you are pregnant, do consult your doctor.
I would always recommend drinking it in limits. I prefer having just 2 bottles per week but that again depends on your choice and how well it suits you. If you start liking the taste of Kombucha and enjoying sipping it now and then like I do, then go for it otherwise there are so many other gut healing foods like kimchi (I loveee it), sauerkraut, kefir, kanji (loveee), bone broth, etc.
TRIED & TESTED KOMBUCHA BRANDS FROM INDIA
Till now, I have only tried these three brands from India brewing 100% natural Kombucha. I will be adding more brands to this list as and when I try them.
- go site Zen Tiger Kombucha: Incredible! I absolutely love sipping their Mango Kombucha which is the tastiest Kombucha I have tried till yet. Another favorite one from this brand is Hibiscus and Kokum, a refreshing kombucha with a subtle flavor of Kokum. If you are new to this, do check out Zen Tiger based in Mumbai because their Kombucha flavors are mild on the tongue as they are made from fresh fruits.
- http://therapeuticindulgence.com/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http://therapeuticindulgence.com/wp-admin/ Atmosphere: Run by two sisters, this brand has a lot of interesting flavors to offer. Their kombucha is very mild and palatable to taste. I loved their limited edition Litchi flavor and Blueberry Lavender flavor. They also offer other flavors like lemon & mint, ginger & mango.
- Bhu Living: This is the first Indian brand I tried for Kombucha and their apple cinnamon flavor is absolutely delicious. They also have other flavors like cucumber mint, pineapple ginger, and the plain Kombucha.
Have you tried any other brand from India? Let me know in the comments.