Ok , so today let’s talk about face masks!!
I know , I know I talk a lot about face masks . They are pure love! I feel the best after having a pampering session with my masks. I have developed this new habit of applying two kinds of face masks at a time. First , I apply a detoxifying mask using clays , charcoal or any other powder beneficial for the skin. Once it dries , I remove it using a cotton ball and apply a layer of raw honey (yup , only honey) or any other hydrating ingredient for my skin like aloe vera gel for 20 minutes or so. Try this , your skin will feel clean , soft and moisturized!
So , let’s come back to the first ingredient in my newly started series of posts “Ingredient Spotlight ” – Kaolin Clay – The gentlest clay you will ever use on your skin.
What is kaolin clay? – Kaolin Clay is a naturally occurring clay substance mostly found in soils that have developed from the chemical weathering of rocks in hot, moist climates. A good example of such a climate is the tropical rainforest. It is also called China clay, White clay, White Cosmetic clay, Hydrated Aluminum Silicate and Kaolinite clay. (source)
Why you need it? – Unlike other clays , kaolin clay’s gentle absorptive properties do not over-dry the skin during use yet it’s still quite effective for pulling impurities to the surface and gently stimulating circulation to the area of application. Few points to make you believe in the magic of this gentle clay are –
- It is used to treat acne.
- It can soothe itchy or dry skin during winters.
- Ohh, you can use it on your hair too. It is known to absorb any excess oil or dirt without stripping your hair of all of its necessary nutrients and promote hair growth.
- Due to high amount of silica , it is effective in removing dead skin cells. My skin literally breathes after using this magical clay. (looovve!)
Ways to use Kaolin Clay! – It is a versatile clay which can be added to any of your DIY hair mask or face mask recipes. One of my most favorite ways to use this clay is to add some water to make a thin paste and apply it all over my hair and face – a perfect detox!
DIY Kaolin Clay Face Mask
(your skin will love this soothing mask)
Make a paste of –
- 2 tablespoons of Kaolin Clay
- 1 tablespoon Ground Oatmeal
- 9 drops Lavender essential oil (Tea tree for acne prone skin)
- Sufficient water to make a paste (I used coconut water)
DIY Kaolin Clay Hair Mask
(it stimulates healthy hair growth)
Make a thin paste of –
- 3 tablespoons Kaolin clay
- 10 drops of Rosemary Essential Oil
- 5 drops of Lavender essential oil
- Sufficient water
Apply it all over your scalp and leave it for 20 minutes. It will detox your scalp and promote healthy hair growth.
You can also make detox face mask for dry skin if you face acne but cannot use detox face masks since they dry out the skin.