Summer , the best time to soak in maximum amount of sun, go for swims , vacations and put on loads of sunscreen. But.. all this fun causes a havoc to our skin. So , its time to give your skin some detox right? When it comes to detox, I reach for the best: bentonite clay. And today I am talking everything about this clay which should sit in everyone’s beauty shelf for the number of ways it can be used and the magic it does on the skin and hair.
What is Bentonite Clay? – Bentonite clay known as a healing clay is derived from aged volcanic ash. . Bentonite clay powder found in India is brownish in shade and is found in Kutch region of Gujarat. It is in the form of ultra fine powder which is really soft in touch similar in texture to fine cake flour.
Why you need it? – When it comes in touch with water or any other liquid , Bentonite produces an electrical charge and swells making it absorb toxins , dirt and oil from the pores. . When applied on skin or scalp , bentonite clay can help heal wounds , clear up acne, clarify skin and reduce pain caused by bug bites by calming the skin . It also balances the excessive oil production during humid season. Not only can bentonite clay help to clear up clogged pores , it even leaves skin feeling softer , brighter and more supple. It works as a perfect detox mask after spending the day in sun or layering your skin with toxic makeup.
This clay can also be used on the scalp to clear up the scalp build up due to chemical laden shampoos and pollution , which in turn leads to healthier hair roots and faster hair growth.
To summarize , bentonite clay –
- heals acne , scars , wounds , rashes
- promotes brighter complexion
- reduces blackheads
- clarifies skin tone
- balances oil production
- detoxifies scalp , leading to healthier hair growth.
Ways To Use It – Buying a single jar of bentonite clay will serve so many purposes. You can whip it up in variety of face/body/hair masks by adding rose water , apple cider vinegar , essential oils , activated charcoal etc. You can choose ingredients according to your skin type and add those in your bentonite clay mask.
Some of the ways I use bentonite clay –
– this detox hair mask is a complete spa for your hair at home. It detoxifies , nourishes as well as cleanses the scalp.
– I even shared a recipe of this Detox charcoal and rose face mask with a gentle exfoliating effect on skin.
– DIY Multipurpose Mask – So , whenever I make this mask with just three ingredients , I apply it all over my body , in my armpits , on my hair and my face.
You’ll need- (This recipe will make one small bowl of this mask)
- 5-6 tablespoons Bentonite Clay (buy here)
- 4 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 7-8 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
Directions – Mix all of these together in a wooden , glass or ceramic bowl with a wooden spatula. Add enough water needed to make a thin paste.
Since bentonite clay gets charged when it comes in contact with water , it can react with metals. Soit is always recommended to avoid using it in metal bowls.
Use this paste as a –
- Face Mask – Apple cider vinegar balances the pH levels of your skin and removes dead skin cells. It’s like a natural exfoliator for your skin. Apply the mask all over your face and leave it on until it dries a bit.
- Hair Mask – Apply it all over your scalp and hair and wash it with normal water after 30 minutes. Dry your hair , apply your hair oil and shampoo the next day. It will not only detoxify scalp but even clear up dandruff if used regularly.
- Body Mask & Armpit Detox – I have recently started doing armpit detox and I loveee it! It helps pull some of these chemicals out of the skin of the armpits which can be especially helpful after years of conventional deodorant use. People with back acne , try this recipe and you’ll thank me for it.
Huh , it was a long post as I had so much to share about this clay. Want to try one for yourself ? Buy buy this jar of 100% Pure and Unrefined Bentonite Clay.
More post in the series Ingredient Spotlight .