A body massage? I feel you! How relaxing it is to get body massages regularly. It is a luxury for most of us to go to an ayurvedic spa and get a body massage done. But how about a body massage session at home – which is more relaxing, more satisfying for the soul and much cheaper than a massage you will get by paying around 5,000 bucks at a spa?Abhyanga – a self-massage technique for treating your body as temple…all in the comfort of your own home. It is a method of massaging yourself from head to toe with warm massage oil before bathing. This ancient Ayurvedic ritual offers benefits which are far beyond from nourishing the skin.
BUT .. massaging with parabens … umm.. alcohol into your skin. Not so cool, right? Most drugstore massage oils are loaded with chemicals, mineral oil, and fragrance.It becomes important to choose 100% pure massage oil made of only carrier oils and scented with essential oils which are healing for the body and mind.
Enter the body massage oils by Ayurvedic Brands manufacturing products sans harmful chemicals. I am a DIY person and prefer making my own blend of Body Massage Oil whenever I indulge in body massages but this time I tried the Kama Ayurveda’s Darbari Meditate Body Oil made with a base of jojoba oil, sesame oil, and sunflower seed oil and scented with essential oils of lavender, peppermint, and clary sage. This soothing blend is meant to unwind stressed senses, reduce muscle tension and relax the mind. The floral yet grounding aroma of this body oil promotes a feeling of calm. The oil is light and absorbs quickly leaving the skin soft and moisturized.
You can also make a DIY Abhyanga Oil with different carrier oils according to your choice and scent them with your favorite essential oil. I prefer using Chamomile Infused Sesame Oil for my body massages and sometimes a simple blend of Sweet Almond Oil with Lavender Essential Oil.
How To Practice Abhyanga At Home :
- Warm your oil: Place the bottle of oil in warm water until the oil is warm.
- Set the mood: Choose a room where you will not be disturbed by anyone and light a naturally scented candle.
- Take oil in cupped hands and start applying it from extremes of the body to the middle of the body applying mild pressure and using circular strokes on the joints & chest. Do it slowly, gently and with love for 5-15 minutes.
- Let the oil absorb into the skin for at least 15 minutes.
- Hop into a hot shower.
Benefits of Abhyanga :
- nourishes the body
- improves firmness of skin
- increases blood circulation
- calms the nerves
- softens and smoothens skin
- nourishes the scalp and promotes hair growth
- improves sleep
- assists in the elimination of impurities from the body
- moves the lymph, aiding in detoxification
- lubricates the joints
- increases circulation
Take out time from your busy schedule to practice this ayurvedic ritual which will calm you down, help you get over the tiring day and even benefit your skin.
For more details you can view this link – click here .
Have you ever practiced Abhyanga?